Using a disinfectant cleaning solution like Lysol is as important as taking a breath. Because it kills 99.9% of bacteria from the surface, that ensures leading a healthy life.
After cleaning, it spreads an awful smell that is very irritating. Though its smell won’t cause any severe problems when mild. But if it turns so hard, it becomes toxic and causes headaches, dizziness, and even lung irritation. So it is essential to remove the smell.
That’s why you should learn the methods of how to get rid of Lysol smell.
White vinegar, and different kinds of essential oils combination works outstanding to remove the Lysol smell. But, the remedy is not the same for all surfaces.
Here, in this article, we’ll demonstrate all possible ways of removing the awful smell to reduce your toil. Let’s see what they are
Jump To Right Section
- How To Get Rid Of The Lysol Smell
- Method 1- Scented Vinegar Solution
- Method 2 – Baking Soda
- Method 3 – Proper Ventilation
- Method 4 – Air Freshener
- Method 5 – Air Purifier
- Frequently Asked Questions
- In Closing
How To Get Rid Of The Lysol Smell?
Removing the Lysol smell depends on the types of places you apply. However, one of the best ways to get rid of this smell is to use a mixture of White Vinegar with essential oil.
In this regard, instead of using a softly scented oil like Rose, Lavender, Chamomile, or Evening Primrose, it’ll be better to use strongly scented oil like Peppermint, Cinnamon, Orange, Lemon, Rosemary, Tea Tree, Lime, Mandarin, Eucalyptus, Bergamot, Sweet Basil, Clementine, or Helichrysum.
In addition, an air freshener and proper ventilation may help you to remove the odor of Lysol if you know how long the lysol smell lasts.
Method 1- Scented Vinegar Solution
Applying the scented vinegar solution is the first and foremost method when the smell is hard. In this case, making the solution is the first thing to do, which is not the same for all time. It varies from place to place.
Even in some cases, you may need to add some other chemicals. For different purposes, you have to make different solutions.
How To Remove Lysol Smell From Hands
Using Lysol as a hand sanitizer may kill the bacteria off your hands but make them smelly. Now to get rid of this hellish smell-
- Take some white Vinegar and add 10-20 drops of essential oil.
- Mix it well and put your hand in the mixture for 5 minutes.
- Remove your hand from the mixture and wash them with clean, warm water and soap.
- Rinse hand with a dry towel
- Finally, smell your hand and check whether there is a bad smell of Lysol or not.
We hope now there will be no smell on your hand. Otherwise, repeat the process, but put your hands in the mixture for 10 minutes this time. You may also add one or two tablespoons of Rubbing Alcohol to the Vinegar Solution.
How To Remove The Lysol Smell From Kitchen And Bathroom Stuff
Do you use Lysol for cleaning your kitchen and bathroom accessories? If yes, then you must have its unpleasant hospital smell. To remove it from your home staff-
- Take one liter of white vinegar and add 20-30 drops of essential oil.
- Mix it well and fill it in a spray bottle.
- Spray the mixture on the surfaces of the home stuff where you applied Lysol and wait for 5-10 minutes.
- Then wipe down the surface with a dry cloth or a sponge.
How To Remove The Lysol Smell From Car Vents And Home Carpet
Suppose your car vents turn smelly after using Lysol, and your home carpet is also spreading a deep smell all over the room. In that case, you also should apply the vinegar solution. The process is-
- Take one liter of White Vinegar and add 30-40 drops of essential oil.
- Add 10-20 drops of Rubbing Alcohol.
- Mix it properly and put it in a spray bottle.
- When you spray on car vents, turn on the car’s air conditioner and keep windows down. Park your vehicle somewhere after spraying the mixture for 30-45 minutes. Then wipe with dry cloth all surfaces.
- When spraying the solution on the home carpet, keep the door and windows open and turn on the fan. Wait for 10-20 minutes.
How To Remove The Lysol Smell From Furniture
Once you apply Lysol disinfectant spray to clean furniture like sofa, chair, table, almirah, showcase, shelves and other wooden stuff, it turns the whole room smelly.
To get rid of this disturbing smell of Lysol, you should make the same mixture as you made before for kitchen and bathroom accessories. But this time, add a few drops of Rubbing Alcohol to the mixture and follow the same process.
Method 2 – Baking Soda
Baking soda is an alternative to the vinegar solution. But you can apply this only on soft surfaces like carpets, car vents, accessories, and furniture as well. You don’t need to add any essential oils and other ingredients with soda.
- Take 1 liter of warm water and add 2-3 tablespoons of baking soda.
- Shake properly to mix the water and baking soda.
- After that, apply the mixture on the surfaces.
- Wait for a few minutes and see the result.
Method 3 – Proper Ventilation
Ventilation is a widespread remedy for removing the Lysol smell. So after using Lysol, try to keep the door and window open. Let the air and sunlight get inside. This process is beneficial to reduce any foul smell.
However, you may install an exhaust or ventilation fan in the room. It will release the smelly air from your home outside.
Method 4 – Air Freshener
Many people may suggest you spray an air freshener directly in the room. Yes, you may do so, but don’t do it when the Lysol smell is hard. It may mix up with the Lysol smell and produce a more disturbing odor.
You should apply an air freshener when the Lysol smell turns mild. You will easily get different types of air freshening spray in the market. Some are for the bathroom, and some are for the home. Choose the best air freshener as per your need.
You may use Lysol NEUTRA AIR Sanitizing Spray, an absolute product from Lysol, to remove bad smells from a room.
Method 5 – Air Purifier
If you have enough budget, install an air purifier at your place. In the market, you will get different sizes of air-filtering devices. In 20-30 minutes, it vanishes the Lysol hellish odor.
Try to purchase a large one for a big room. If you are aware of health care, installing an air purifier would be a great decision. It won’t remove the bad smell only but also purify the air from viruses and bacteria. Choose the best air purifier regarding the size of your room.
What If The Lysol Smell Does Not Go Away After Doing Everything?
We strongly believe that if you follow all the processes we mentioned, they will help you get rid of the Lysol smell. But, if still there is a smell then we recommend –
- Scrub the surface from where the smell spreads. For scrubbing, you should take a less abrasive steel wool soap pad.
- After scrubbing, wash it with clean, warm, soft water.
- Then wipe down with a dry cloth.
- After wiping, you may spray some scented essential oil on the surface as well.
If you still can’t get rid of the Lysol smell, it’s time to call a cleaning service. They will do this task more professionally. Moreover, if they clean your air conditioner system with Lysol at the time of car servicing, then take your car back to them to make it smell free. Otherwise, you may have to replace the AC parts.
Use of Lysol in an odorless way
When you use Lysol disinfectant spray or cleaner, it produces a smell. So all you can do is use Lysol disinfectant cleaner in a way to have less odor.
- Open the window and turn on the exhaust fan.
- Pre-clean the surface with softly scented oil.
- Take a bowl of warm water and add two tablespoons of Lysol to the bowl.
- Add 5-10 drops of lemon juice to the mixture
- Mix well and apply with a sponge.
- After 10 minutes, wipe down the surface.
Adding some lemon juice to the mixture helps reduce the strong smell of the Lysol.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I add other ingredients to the Vinegar to remove Lysol smell?
Of course, you can. When making a scented vinegar mixture, you can add some other ingredients to make it strong. They are Rubbing Alcohol, Borax, Hidrosis, Espresso, Lemon Juice, Coconut Oil. You may add some water to make your vinegar solution soft.
Should I use bleach on the surface to remove the smell of Lysol?
Yes. Instead of vinegar solution, you may use it but not everywhere. You may use bleach on the hard surface like kitchen and bathroom accessories. Try to use liquid bleach like Clorox, Ecover Zero, and others. And after applying the bleach, don’t forget to spray some scented oil.
Is the Smell of Lysol Toxic?
According to the manufacturer, Lysol won’t cause any significant and critical hazards in inhalation, skin contact and ingestion. But, the hard smell may cause a headache and breathing irritation. You may use a mask when applying Lysol.
The smell of Lysol is so irritating that it turns a good place into uncomfortable. But by following a few steps, you can easily remove this odor. Vinegar Solution, baking soda, proper ventilation, air freshener, and air purifier will help you to do so. Follow them accordingly.
So now you know all the ways on how to get rid of Lysol smell to enjoy your breath.